Regularly, at workshops, moderators try to break the ice with an ominous question: “State your name and reveal one fact about yourself that nobody knows.”
This usually causes cold sweat or heavy allergic reactions amongst the assembled.
But fear no longer! Here a few answers that I have personally provided successfully over the years, and which you are free to re-use.
- I have a dog and live on a farm
- On Hawaii I once attended (voluntarily) a Neil Diamond concert
- I used to smoke pipe
- I was lead singer in a country and western band
- I love cooking
- I have a brother that sent a rocket to Pluto
- I was radiation security officer at university
- I killed a marten with a shovel
- I love reading about the Roman Empire
- I once literally ran into Telly Savalas (aka Kojak) at JFK airport
- I’ve visited 32 states of the USA
- I write post apocalyptic novels and donate the proceeds to charity
- I love camping
Naturally not all are true: on three occasions I’ve told a little lie. Can you guess which may be a hoax?
Naturally, your answer may need to be adjusted to the other answers; if the other participants claim to climb Mount Everest or sail the Pacific on a weekly basis, you will need to come up with a similarly strong position. Here a few examples that will help you stick out from the crowd.
“A little-known fact about me?”
- I sing opera, and I am working on my first recording
- I’ve spent time in jail
- I’m an anarchist
- I once killed a man with my bare hands
- I knit
- In my free time I’m a taxidermist
- I run the ironman twice a year (works best if look overweight)
- I collect wine and have 20000 bottles in my cellar
- I sell drugs and have 20 kg in my cellar
- I once planned a sex change operation but canceled last minute
- I’ve had intimate relationship with three… uh…four participants in this workshop
- In my spare time I love to do absolutely nothing
- I love to sit on the sofa and listen to the silence / my tinnitus